Do you have a small kitchen? Don’t let your limited square footage limit your design options. In fact, a small space should inspire you to get creative with your kitchen design in Singapore. So, whether you are renovating or building a kitchen for the first time, be sure to incorporate striking elements that can make even the most limited space look amazing. Get started by finding the best kitchen countertop material.
The importance of having the right countertops
Finding the best countertop material is important if you want your kitchen to look its best. Your choice can either make or break your kitchen interior design in Singapore. It can also make a difference in your meal preparation experience and overall enjoyment. When things get busy, the counter surface will do a lot of heavy lifting, so you definitely want to buy something that can do the job.
Countertops are not just for food preparation. They can serve other purposes—such as being a tabletop for sorting groceries, a place to eat quick meals, etc. What’s more, they can affect the overall look and vibe of your kitchen space, so it’s important to consider aesthetics.
The key is to choose a material that suits all of your activities and looks great with your overall design theme so that it can easily be incorporated during your kitchen renovation in Singapore. Here are some of the best materials you can consider:
If you are looking for an alternative to the regular countertop surfaces, KompacTop or KompacPlus may be right for you. It is durable and does not require you to tear out an existing countertop finish before installation. Simply mount it over your current counter and it will be good to go. Thus, it allows for an easier renovation process.
Advantages of choosing KompacPlus:
- Quick installation, usually completed in three working days.
- Resistant to heat, impacts, scratches, stains, and bubbling. Non-porous and waterproof.
- Easy to clean by wiping.
- A slim profile that’s 3mm and 6mm thick.
- Joint lines are visible
- Designs are limited
- Discolouration can occur if it is constantly exposed to the sun
- Cracks can occur when hot objects directly come in contact with it
That being said, KompacPlus may still be a good countertop for your small kitchen design in Singapore if you want a material that is versatile and easy to maintain.
Laminates are composed of several layers of melamine resin and kraft paper boards. This construction makes them budget-friendlier compared to other countertop surfaces. They are easy to maintain, and cleaning up is simple as it only takes some warm water with soap and a cloth or sponge to wipe down any minor dirt.
Advantages of laminate countertops:
- Durable and non-porous.
- They can be made to look like natural materials like marble and wood, down to the texture.
- The latest laminates available have an anti-fingerprint feature.
- Resistant to spills, stains, and heat.
Disadvantages of laminate countertops:
- Chips can occur from direct impact with sharp objects, such as scissors and knives
- The material could warp over time
- The material could melt if hot cookware has prolonged contact with it.
Bottom line: Laminate is a good choice if you want something affordable, fairly durable, hygienic, and flexible.
- Natural stone
It’s hard to go wrong with natural stone if you are aiming for a luxurious kitchen design in Singapore. Countertops that are made of granite and marble are eco-friendly as they are cut from pure, actual stones. That makes them a great choice if you are environmentally conscious with enough budget for them.
Pros of natural stone:
- Provides a high-end and sophisticated finish to a small kitchen
- Many different colours
- One-of-a-kind look with unique grains and veins on the stone, so no countertop looks exactly alike
- It is possible to have the edgings crafted.
Cons of natural stone:
- Tends to be costly for a small kitchen interior design in Singapore
- Requires professional installation
- High-maintenance, so spills must be cleaned up immediately to prevent staining.
- Highly porous, so it requires a sealant when installed
If you do not mind the routine maintenance that is required of natural stone, it can be a great investment that can also add some value to your home.
- Engineered quartz
Should natural stone be too costly for your budget, there are other similar materials you can consider for your kitchen renovation in Singapore. One of them is engineered quartz, which is made by mixing polymer resin with crushed natural quartz. The combination results in a highly durable material, which can also be manufactured in many different colours and textures.
Unlike natural stone, the quartz countertop is non-porous, so you do not have to worry about bacterial growth and stains that are tough to remove.
Pros of engineered quartz:
- Resists stains, scratches, and impact
- Durable—less likely to crack or chip
- Can be manufactured to look like natural stone, such as marble.
Cons of engineered quartz:
- Seam joints are visible
- More expensive than other alternatives (i.e. laminate)
- Surface damage can occur when hot objects are placed directly on it due to the resin.
Still, this countertop material could be a great option if you have enough budget to improve your small kitchen design in Singapore and you want a surface that looks like natural stone without the high-maintenance aspect.
Wood is another countertop material that has unique grain and tone, so no two pieces are ever completely the same. That said, butcherblock or wooden counters will definitely provide a unique look to your kitchen design in Singapore.
Just like natural stone, wood tends to be porous. However, that can be remedied by applying a non-toxic sealant to prevent water from seeping into the countertop. Proper sealing should make it last for up to 20 years. Cleaning it is also easy, as you can do so with regular household cleaners.
Some of the known disadvantages of wood are that it is easy to stain, it can be scratched or dented if you do not use a cutting board, and it contracts and expands depending on the temperature in your kitchen or the material that’s placed on it. Despite those factors, wood still has potential for your small kitchen if you want to add some warmth to its interior design.
- Solid surface
Solid surface countertops are manufactured out of synthetic acrylic. It is germ-resistant, non-porous, and requires minimal to zero-maintenance. The downside is they may not be the most durable. However, it is easy to repair as the damage can be sanded or scrubbed out, resulting in a brand-new look.
If you are accident-prone or you have kids and pets, solid surface may also be right for you. The countertops can easily integrate with your backsplash and sink to create a seamless look in your kitchen interior design in Singapore. Solid surface can also be made to look like other materials, like concrete or marble.
Get in touch with SHE Interior if you’re still unsure which countertop you should get for your kitchen renovation in Singapore. Our experienced and skilled team of designers, contractors, and craftsmen will work closely with you to help you make an informed decision.